History of GCU

The Government College University, Lahore , abbreviated to GCU, is a public university located in the downtown area of Lahore,Punjab, Pakistan. It is one of the oldest university in Pakistan as well as oldest institution of higher learning in the Muslim world.[3] Initially established as Government College Lahore, it was granted university status by the Government of Pakistan in 2002; the world college is retained in its title for preserving its historical roots.

Under the British Raj Government College was opened on 1 January 1864 in a portion of the Palace of Raja Dhyan Singh Haveli. The institution was affiliated with the University of Calcutta for examination.

Along with the establishment of the college, Gottlieb Wilhelm Leitner (professor of Arabic and Islamic Law at King's College in London) was nominated as principal of college. Later, he later was instrumental in the foundation ofUniversity of the Punjab, established in 1882.

The first class consisted of nine students, all of whom matriculated from University of Calcutta. In April 1871, the college moved to its present site. Eric C. Dickinson became its Principal.

In 1996, it received autonomous status and on 9 September 2002, it became a university.

Alumni of the GCU are called Ravians.